Monday, August 8, 2011

Book of Mormon Outfit

My goal with this project was to make a Book of Mormon outfit for Moroni's Quest Youth Conference. I wanted to make it without spending a penny! I did it! My husband was very happy.
My mom gave me a couple of really nice White/Cream sheets and I cut them apart to 45inches wide. I measured my husband and myself to get the measurement of the length. My goal was to make 2 Tunics out of the sheets I was given.
Here they are after I sewed the sides up 2/3 of the way and added fabric decoration around the collars. I used fabric scraps to make the collars. I sewed part of an old red curtain to make the sash on my outfit. My husbands sash was made from my brother-in-laws work shirt. I love to reduce, reuse, and recycle!
I would have chosen a different color for the outfits but I only had white sheets. The white did keep us much cooler than most in the mountains. I know...I wore it for 3 days strait!
Here is the finished project. The sleeves were a bit long so I slimmed the outfit down quite a bit and sewed strings on each shoulder. Tying a bow on top with a string of fabric finished the outfit. Not perfect, but I completed the task!
Here is my husbands Tunic. After I was done his outfit looked more like an angel so I added some zipper circle embellishments to the collar. I think it was the perfect touch.
For the zipper embellishments I took 3 old zippers from pants and cut them off. Using a thread and needle, I threaded string through each spiral of zipper and coiled it in a circle as I stitched the zipper together. It was a bit time consuming, but it turned out good. I used this same technique on the zipper hair bow for my daughter.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a Comment