Friday, August 17, 2012

Storing Garden Onions


 I found a cheep way to store and prolong the life of my garden fresh Walla Walla onions. 
You got it!.........Pantyhose! No kidding. I purchased bran new hose at Walmart for $1.00 and cut the legs apart. After inserting each onion I tied a knot so the onions wouldn't touch each other. I don't want them to spoil each other by touching. I tied a loop knot at the top and suspended the onions in my basement food storage room.  It is a moderately dry area to store my onions. I really want them to last!  

Ahh...no more onions sitting on my counter.

 This variety of onion will only keep stored this way for a few weeks, 
but hey... It beats eating 30 huge onions in one day right?
 Hanging the onions separately and not on a surface allows for air to circulate through the onions. 
Now, whenever I am cooking with onions, I cut the hose right below the end of a knot and I have a delicious home grown onion ready to eat!

No comments:

Post a Comment